Friday, October 2, 2009

Up at 2AM

I was up at 2AM this morning. Normally she wakes me up at 4AM on the button kicking and I have to go pee but this morning it was 2, and I couldn't go back to sleep. So I laid there until about 5:30 when the sprinklers came on outside, and then I really couldn't sleep so I got up, fed Harper, showered, got breakfast for Dave and I at T&T and was ready to start the day at 7AM.

Dave told me he doesn't like "chipper, energetic, morning Katie" because it isn't natural. Which is so true...even Harper was annoyed at being up so early. I guess its good practice.

Work as been picking up and I am now enjoying what I am doing again, because the new clients are fun, and the projects are challenging. Six months ago I was so bored and ready to be done, but now I am rethinking coming back to work. There are pros and cons to both, and I am going to list them out below. Regardless of what ends up being the final verdict, I am so BLESSED to work for a great man. My boss Ken Dickenson is allowing me to take 3 months after she is born, with benefits to decide if I want to come back. He and I both agreed that trying to make the decision before she gets here is kind of pointless because a lot can and will change between the time she is born and when it is time to go back. Right now I work 20 hours a week, and I have full benefits, which is unheard of with part time work, so I am very weary to give up on this job, because if I decide that I do want to go back, I am not going to find a gig I enjoy as much, and is part time with benefits. And as if that wasn't enough incentive, we have even discussed me working from home or bringing her into the office. Daycare is not something I am willing to do, mainly because financially I don't have to work, but it would be really nice to not pay out of pocket for benefits, and still have my steady pay check.

Here are the pros and cons for going back.

PROS:
-Benefits
-Extra Money
-Steady Income
-Getting out of the house
-Working with adults daily

CONS:
-Added (possibly unnecessary) Stress
-Wishing I had more time for myself
-Missing the opportunity to just focus on Fay, she will only be this age once
-Obviously it would be nice not to work and be able to do whatever I wanted with Fay all day every day, but I am worried I might get bored.

I am so glad I don't have to decide now. We will meet her, see how we both feel, and then decide. Options are good and I am so thankful that I work at a company that will give me this choice. Often times I don't feel like I am old enough to have these conversations about work, benefits, family, and money.

The weather has been so NICE, its like we live in LA again. Midland's weather can't be beat in the state of Texas if you ask me. Its dry heat when its hot, and the nights are cool. We have real seasons and the desert is beautiful this time of year. It was 55 this morning when I was up at 5:30.

Here's to the weekend!

K

No comments:

Post a Comment